Re: IPA Null Consonant

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 09:06:12 EDT

    Kent Karlsson scripsit:

    > Sorry for picking on every statement you make, but there is no such thing
    > as a "null set" or a "null set symbol" (null and empty aren't the same).

    "Null set" is quite common, though not as common as "empty set":
    see http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EmptySet.html , which says they are
    equivalent terms.

    > I have yet to see anyone quote a linguistic texts that *explicitly* says that
    > they use the empty set symbol for this "empty" linguistic entity.

    Well, a linguistics paper I read yesterday (citation on request) definitely
    used the slashed-circle, aka empty set sign, to represent a nonexistent
    element (in this case an ellipsized word).

    --
    One art / There is                      John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    No less / No more                       http://www.reutershealth.com