Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 23:58:53 EDT
I wonder if anyone here has ideas on these matters.
----- Forwarded by Peter Constable/IntlAdmin/WCT on 05/30/2003 10:56 PM
I have 3 LinguaLinks lexicons that I have converted into HTML pages - one
for each entry. The languages use non-ANSI characters, so I also did a
Unicode conversion at the same time.
Everything works very well except that I cannot burn the files onto a CD
because of the unicode values in the filenames. Roxio and Nero CD-burners
don't accept some of the higher values found in the file names (using
Jolliet, ISO9600 and UDF). Anyone have any ideas how to deal with this?
For example, a filename with unicode value 026B, a tilde lower case L,
In the meantime, to get it onto CD, I decided to try and zip all the
files. Turns out almost all the zippers out there DO NOT support Unicode
filenames. Doug Rintoul found WinRAR
(http://www.rarlab.com/rar_archiver.htm) which does the trick in the RAR
format only. There is a RAR expander for Macintosh and Linux systems as
well (all of these are $29 USD). So far, have not found a freeware
solution that meets unicode filename needs. Have any of you run into this
I could try to determine what Unicode values are causing problems on the
CD burner and do an unacceptable-to-acceptable character translation in
the filenames and the links to those filenames ... but that seems like a
huge compromise. Also, it will be difficult to come up with a generic
solution ... that is to say, I don't know what RANGE of values are
unacceptable for characters in a CD filename. Jolliet is supposed to allow
Unicode filenames according to the documentation I have seen.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sat May 31 2003 - 01:30:19 EDT