From: Edward H Trager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 11:43:19 EDT
On Fri, 30 May 2003 Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:
> I wonder if anyone here has ideas on these matters.
> ----- Forwarded by Peter Constable/IntlAdmin/WCT on 05/30/2003 10:56 PM
> I have 3 LinguaLinks lexicons that I have converted into HTML pages - one
> for each entry. The languages use non-ANSI characters, so I also did a
> Unicode conversion at the same time.
> Everything works very well except that I cannot burn the files onto a CD
> because of the unicode values in the filenames. Roxio and Nero CD-burners
> don't accept some of the higher values found in the file names (using
> Jolliet, ISO9600 and UDF). Anyone have any ideas how to deal with this?
> For example, a filename with unicode value 026B, a tilde lower case L,
> causes problems.
I did a test burning of over 40 UTF-8 file names in seven different
scripts (Arabic, Simplified & Traditional Chinese, Greek, Japanese, Latin,
and Thai) to a CD in ISO9660 format with both Rockridge (Unix) and Joliet
(MS) extensions using Joerg Schilling's Open Source "mkisofs" and
"cdrecord" version 2.0 tools
on Linux (SuSE 7.3).
The resulting CD preserved the UTF-8 filenames perfectly: I could view the
file names using both "ls" from mlterm (http://mlterm.sourceforge.net/)
and from the Mozilla browser when run under a UTF-8 locale (en_US.UTF-8)
The file names did not appear correct on Windows though, but I think this
is only because I don't know how to set the locale properly on Windows
Note that I didn't do anything special when burning the CD: I just burned
it using the same options (Rockridge and Joliet extensions) that I always
use, and there was no need to zip or tar the files. Email me if you need
the details of how to do it.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Mon Jun 02 2003 - 12:30:11 EDT