From: Edward H Trager (email@example.com)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 13:33:08 EDT
>> Everything works very well except that I cannot burn the files onto a
>> CD because of the unicode values in the filenames. Roxio and Nero
>> CD-burners don't accept some of the higher values found in the file names (using
>> Jolliet, ISO9600 and UDF). Anyone have any ideas how to deal with this?
>> For example, a filename with unicode value 026B, a tilde lower case L,
>> causes problems.
> Hi, Peter,
> I did a test burning of over 40 UTF-8 file names in seven different
> scripts (Arabic, Simplified & Traditional Chinese, Greek, Japanese,
> Latin, and Thai) to a CD in ISO9660 format with both Rockridge (Unix)
> and Joliet (MS) extensions using Joerg Schilling's Open Source "mkisofs"
> and "cdrecord" version 2.0 tools
> on Linux (SuSE 7.3).
> The resulting CD preserved the UTF-8 filenames perfectly: I could view
> the file names using both "ls" from mlterm (http://mlterm.sourceforge.net/)
> and from the Mozilla browser when run under a UTF-8 locale (en_US.UTF-8)
> on Linux.
> The file names did not appear correct on Windows though, but I think
> this is only because I don't know how to set the locale properly on
> Windows 2000.
UPDATE: I just tested the UTF-8 filename CD I made earler today on Apple
OS-X and it works perfectly there too. File names appear exactly as they
are supposed to in the Apple Finder. So recording on Linux using
mkisofs/cdrecord v. 2.0 appears to be a correct solution for viewing
UTF-8 filename CDs on least Apple OS-X and Linux. This bolsters my belief
that it should work on Windows too, although that still requires
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Mon Jun 02 2003 - 14:12:39 EDT