Re: Tamazight/berber language : How to send mail, write word documents ....

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 18:00:29 EDT

    Wow, thanks for this cool tool! Now I can edit international text for most European languages directly from my extended custom French keyboard (including the missing OE and AE ligatures that I wanted since long on the French keyboard)...

    (I changed the degree sign to a ring diacritic dead key, added AltGr+Circumflex as a new dead key for CARON, added AltGr+T for THORN, AltGr+S for SHARP S, AltGr+A for AE, AltGr+O for OE, AltGr+/ for O WITH SLASH, Shift+SQUARE EXPONENT for CUBE EXPONENT, added AltGr+1 for a new accute dead key, and I added a lot of compositions for accute, grave, circumflex, tilde, ring...)

    How could I live without it ? That's the end of the Charmap nightmare (and no more need of specific editors or external tools as I use the same keyboard layout as my current keyboard). What's marvelous is that it also support command line input with the OEM set (but I don't know how it works within a CP850 environment which theorically cannot display or input those characters...)

    How does Microsoft support the extended Unicode set from a CP850 environment? With some ANSI sequences? All I can say is that a command like "echo o" is correctly executed and accepted and displays the correct character. But "echo o >txt" creates a 4 bytes file which contains the small letter o, a CRLF sequence and a DOS EOF mark.

    There's some hidden magic in the console on Windows which actually can displays Unicode even in a CP850 environment... I was no aware of that fact!

    -- Philippe.