Re: Problem with Arial Unicode MS font for BOLD/ITALICS in PDF

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 14:41:39 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Jain, Pankaj (MED, TCS)" <Pankaj.Jain@med.ge.com>
    To: "'Edward H Trager'" <ehtrager@umich.edu>
    Cc: <unicode@unicode.org>
    Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 6:37 PM
    Subject: RE: Problem with Arial Unicode MS font for BOLD/ITALICS
    in PDF

    > Edward,
    > thanks for the response. Is it possible to integrate glyph for
    > bold and italic in arialuni.ttf or can I have one font which
    support all
    > the languages and also have related glyph for bold and italic.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Pankaj

    There is no bold, italic or bold-italic font that matches Arial
    Unicode glyph for glyph ( Other pan-Unicode fonts don't have
    matching bold and italic versions either). For Latin script use
    plain Arial bold or Arial italic.

    In Windows, if you specify bold with "Arial Unicode" the Windows
    font rasterizer will generally try to imitate bold
    artificially - but this often looks pretty bad. Windows will
    also try to imitate italic by slanting the font.

    - Chris