Re: Problem with Arial Unicode MS font for BOLD/ITALICS in PDF

From: Allen Haaheim (haaheima@interchange.ubc.ca)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 19:36:41 EDT

    "Richard Cook" <rscook@socrates.berkeley.edu> wrote:

    > In later times, even with computerized font faces, it's my impression that
    italics and bold are not quite suitable for formal writing.

    Italics are extremely rare in the Chinese academic articles and books
    I use, whether published on the mainland, Taiwan, or Hong Kong,
    Rather than italics, if aesthetic effect is desired a cursive-style font is
    used, and for marking titles, brackets (U+300A/B
    or U+FE3D/E) or a wavy line (U+FE4F or U+FE34) is used.

    Generally speaking, italicization violates the fundamentally "square"
    nature of the Chinese character.

    Bold can be seen in larger headings in such formal writing, however,
    particularly in newer publications. But just as common, I would say, is
    the use of differently-sized fonts instead of bold type, not just for
    headings, but to set off notes, block quotations, etc.

    Allen