Re: Revised N2586R

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 12:42:18 EDT

    William O wrote...

    > In that the document proposes U+2693 for FLEUR-DE-LIS it would seem not
    > unreasonable for fontmakers now to be able to produce fonts having a
    > FLEUR-DE-LIS glyph at U+2693.

    Not quite yet. It's not that stable. You should look at the WG2 processes
    and stages of encoding. Docs available on the WG2 web site somewhere, I'm
    sure. It's also in the Unicode pipeline, or will be soon, and its "stage"
    will be shown there. Go from here:
            http://www.unicode.org/alloc/Pipeline.html
    to the caution statement here:
            http://www.unicode.org/alloc/Caution.html

    > I am rather concerned that the name HANDICAPPED SIGN is being used without
    > any jusitication or discussion of the name of the character. The character
    > has now been accepted it appears.

    Presumably you meant "justification"... It's a good point, but not every
    character name gets put out on the Unicode mail list for the general public
    to vote on.

    If you want to get in on such detailed discussion as names for characters
    that are coming up for consideration, you should join the consortium and
    vote. Or, presuming you are still in the UK, you could get involved in the
    British standards body and WG2.

            Rick