Re: Biblical Hebrew (Was: Major Defect in Combining Classes of Tibetan Vowels)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 13:48:41 EDT

    Philippe said on June 27, 2003 at 10:25 AM

    >Do you then propose to create a specific character, for use within the
    >Hebrew script only, as a way to specify an alternate order for hebrew
    >cantillation? In that case, it would be more appropriate to define new
    >standard variants of these cantillation marks, and list them in the
    >supported variants, to be used specially for Biblic Hebrew.

    The cantillation marks are pretty much okay: they will not be re-ordered
    during normalisation. There are three that should ideally have a
    postpositional combining class (see
    http://www.tiro.com/transfer/SBLappendixB.pdf), but the rest are fine.

    The problem is with the vowels.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    If you browse in the shelves that, in American bookstores,
    are labeled New Age, you can find there even Saint Augustine,
    who, as far as I know, was not a fascist. But combining Saint
    Augustine and Stonehenge -- that is a symptom of Ur-Fascism.
                                                                 - Umberto Eco