Re: 24th Unicode Conference - Atlanta, GA - September 3-5, 2003 [OT]

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 10:44:23 EDT

    On Monday, July 07, 2003 3:36 PM, Karl Pentzlin <karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de> wrote:
    > Am Sonntag, 6. Juli 2003 um 22:24 schrieb Tex Texin:
    > > Having said that, I will pass your comment along to the appropriate
    > > people and suggest they consider adding "USA" and/or spell out
    > > Georgia, in the notice and on the web site. (Or did you want a
    > > different kind of change?)
    >
    > All except explicitly specifying "USA" is politically incorrect.
    > Even if it is very easy to guess the country where "Atlanta, GA" is,
    > omitting "USA" *can* be seen as attitude of arrogance (if not
    > offensiveness), sounding like "My country is important enough that
    > I can require you to guess it". Little things like these support the
    > growth of anti-Americanism on simpler minds here.

    I do agree: indicating "Atlanta, GA, USA" is not a big effort.
    Note that Georgia is also a Central European country, and
    saying "GA" or "Georgia" alone is not good...

    Never assume that your readers have to know and guess
    the US geography, when so many US readers do not locate
    correctly many countries on the world map, and often their
    own states in the appropriate US region...

    Of course this conference is likely to interest people with
    good internationalization skills, but it does not imply good
    geography skills...

    A minimum of information specifying the country is needed,
    as well as indicating the local timezone for calendars of
    events (notably for online events), with a clear specification
    according to UTC (it should not be required for each date
    or time, but just indicated before listing these dates), and
    specifying if daylight saving will still apply on those dates...

    You don't need to display UTC time, local time is enough
    for local events that will only occur in Atlanta, GA, USA.

    -- Philippe.