Re: French group separators

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 11:49:34 EDT

    Philippe Verdy scripsit:

    > Some other conventions use in English is the double-space after a
    > sentence-ending dot: this convention does not exist in French, and I do
    > think that it exist in English as a way to represent a large (cadratin
    > minimum width) space after this dot.

    It's a typewriter-based convention, and is suitable for monowidth fonts
    only. The space after a sentence-ending full stop in justified contexts
    is no bigger than any other space, in general.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
    Promises become binding when there is a meeting of the minds and consideration