Re: FW: When is a character a currency sign?

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 16:56:41 EDT

    Kuro,

    I guess the fact that yen sign, won sign, etc. are sometimes used as a file
    separators, doesn't diminish their perception as currency signs (or because
    they are functions picked up after they were established as signs). ;-)

    OK. It makes sense to me that a character is a currency sign if that is its
    only purpose.

    Although I would have bought (pun intended) that a character used as a
    currency signifier would be considered a sign for that purpose even if it had
    other uses. (Which is what Michael Everson seemed to be saying also.)

    But if U+5186 is not a sign, it makes sense that it is because it has other
    meanings as well.

    tex

    "Kurosaka, Teruhiko" wrote:

    > Forgot to copy to the list...