Re: Chinese language support for Unicode

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 23:40:13 EDT

    souravm <souravm at infosys dot com> wrote:

    > Does Unicode support both Simplified as well as Traditional Chinese ?

    Yes.

    > If it supports then could you please let me know what are the
    > respective character blocks in Unicode support these two?

    Han characters in Unicode aren't arbitrarily divided into "simplified"
    and "traditional" blocks as in other character encoding standards.

    This makes sense because SC and TC aren't really two separate, disjoint
    scripts, despite what is often written and despite the way they are
    generally portrayed. Many Han characters are both "simplified" and
    "traditional," and there are even some instances of a character A which
    is the simplified form of another character B and also the traditional
    form of a third character C.

    You will find Han characters in the following blocks:

    U+2E80-U+2EF3 CJK Radicals Supplement
    U+3400-U+4DB5 CJK Unified Ideographs Extension A
    U+4E00-U+9FA5 CJK Unified Ideographs
    U+F900-U+FA6A CJK Compatibility Ideographs
    U+20000-U+2A6D6 CJK Unified Ideographs Extension B

    plus various other characters (punctuation and the like) in other
    blocks. The word "Unified" refers to the fact that these characters are
    unified across Chinese, Japanese, and Korean writing traditions, and has
    nothing to do with "unifying" simplified and traditional forms into a
    single code point (another common misconception).

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/