RE: Deprecated vs. strongly discouraged?

From: Jon Hanna (jon@spin.ie)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 06:00:42 EDT

    Discouraged = "We think this is a bad thing."
    Strongly discouraged = "We think this is a very bad thing."
    Deprecated = "We think this is a bad thing, see no reason to continue using it, and wish it would go away, but it won't so we have to leave it in the standard/spec/table/system/format/programming language etc."

    In particular something may be discouraged, even strongly, from the very beginning of it being used in some standard/spec etc. (where a need to use it is foreseen as well as the problems it may cause).