Re: Ligatures in Turkish and Azeri, was: Accented ij ligatures

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 12:16:42 EDT

    On Thursday, July 10, 2003 5:41 PM, Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    > > Isn't there a "Grapheme Disjoiner" format control character to
    > > force the absence of a ligature like <fi>, i.e. <f, GDJ, i>?
    > >
    > Maybe, but it is hardly realistic to expect all existing Turkish and
    > Azeri text to be recoded to insert a character in the middle of each
    > f - i sequence.

    Note also: the Soft_Dotted property was created and considered
    specially for Turkish and Azeri.

    In this language context the ASCII i is always rendered with a dot,
    kept also for uppercases.

    The other solution would be to use <f, i, dot-above>: the forced dot-above
    diacritic avoids the ligature, and the sequence is rendered by two glyphs
    for <f> and <i, dot-above>, i.e. the glyph for <f>, and the force-dotted
    glyph for <i>.

    Its uppercase conversion cause no problem:

    <F, I, dot-above>
        = <F> + <I, dot-above>
        = <F> + <I-dot-above>

    As well as additional stress diacritics:

    <f, i, dot-above, accute-accent>
        = <f> + <i, dot-above, accute-accent>
    <F, I, dot-above, accute-accent>
        = <F> + <I-dot-above, accute-accent>