Re: About the European MES-2 subset

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 10:27:06 EDT

    On 18/07/2003 06:21, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >But for these Asian languages, I think it's best to have fonts designed to
    >handle correctly their corresponding scripts, instead of a giant font poorly
    >hinted for readability at small sizes, and without support of common
    >ligatures.

    Agreed. Giant fonts have their uses, e.g. Arial Unicode MS and Code2000
    let me get a flavour of complex script pages which I browse to on the
    Internet, often by mistake, without having to install special fonts for
    scripts I don't read. But publication of official documents is not one
    of those uses. Software needs to include good font substitution procedures.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com