Re: Hebrew hataf vowels (was: About CGJ)

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 06:41:54 EDT

    On 24/07/2003 17:09, Chris Jacobs wrote:

    >Aleph with right holam is not a plain text issue, and thusly not an unicode
    >issue.
    >
    >A right holam on an aleph belongs between the aleph and the preceding
    >consonant.

    Indeed, logically though not always typographically.

    >As far as plain text goes it can be displayed:
    >
    >1. above the aleph, to the right.
    >
    >2. between the aleph and a preceding consonant above a space.
    >
    >3. above the preceding consonant, to the left.
    >
    >If you explicitly want 1. then you are talking about rich text.

    No problem as long as everyone agrees on this, that we encode according
    to the logical association of the holam with the preceding base letter
    rather than the typographical association of the holam with the alef.
    The problem arises when someone doesn't realise that this is an
    exception to the normal Unicode rules and tries to encode a holam which
    appears above an alef according to the normal rules that a diacritic is
    encoded after the base character with which it is typographically
    associated.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com