Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 08:54:37 EDT

    On 25/07/2003 05:14, Kent Karlsson wrote:

    >A possible solution to the particular problem at hand that
    >hasn't yet been mentioned (that I've noticed), is to use the
    >already encoded vowel characters for the most part (also
    >for biblical texts), but use new "biblical" vowels only for the
    >occurrences where they occur as *second* vowel (with an
    >implied invisible consonant): HEBREW SECOND VOWEL HIRIQ,
    >etc. (Strikes me as rather elegant, though it requires the
    >addition of new characters.)
    >
    > /kent k

    At first sight this looks like a good alternative proposal. It would be
    acceptable to me as long as their use is clearly defined, and the word
    BIBLICAL is not part of their name. So far I have only documented sheva,
    hiriq and patah being used as "second" vowels, also holam in
    וַיִּקְבְֹּר 2 Ki 21:26 which came to my attention yesterday, but there
    may be cases which I have not seen. So potentially all eleven Hebrew
    vowels will need to be duplicated.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com