Re: Damn'd fools

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 17:10:41 EDT

    On 25/07/2003 13:28, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 15:46 -0400 2003-07-25, John Cowan wrote:
    >
    >> > When the United Kingdom hands back Northern Ireland to Ireland
    >>
    >>> in 2052, then obviously the numeric codes of both countries will
    >>> have to
    >>> change, but not the codes for the names.
    >>

    >> Presumably the name of the U.K. would change, however.
    >

    > Why? It would be the United Kingdom of Great Britain, which comprises
    > England, Scotland, Wales, and the Duchy of Cornwall.

    Even if we English lose all of these others, I'm sure we will keep the
    name and find someone to consider ourselves united to, even if it's just
    the Falkland Islands/Malvinas or Rockall. Rockall has the great
    advantage that it's easy to deal with independence movements when the
    only inhabitants are birds!

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com