Re: Meaning of a.o. Persian

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 07:23:13 EDT

    On 30/07/2003 03:56, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

    >>But is ZWJ actually required
    >>within text, or only for display of joining forms in isolation? A simple
    >>example would be of interest.
    >>

    >Yes, it is used in normal text. But the only frequent use is after a
    >single Heh, to make it appear in the initial form (which is by tradition
    >used to distinguish Heh from a 5) rather than the isolated form which
    >will appear if one doesn't add a ZWJ.
    >
    >So in other words, there exists a joining form in isolation that is
    >frequent in normal text, and it is "initial Heh".
    >
    >roozbeh

    Thank you. Well, my first thought was that in that case, if the isolated
    heh form is never used, the glyph for it should be changed in the font
    for the form which is used. But I guess that would make the font
    unusable for Arabic and other languages. So I will stick to trying to
    sort out Hebrew, and leave Farsi etc to the real experts.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com