Re: Hebrew Vav Holam

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 15:12:05 EDT

    Ted Hopp wrote on 07/31/2003 12:12:34 PM:

    > I'd propose something that would look like this in the UCD (with 'nn' to
    be
    > determined, but it should be in the Hebrew block):
    >
    > 05nn;HEBREW VOWEL HOLAM MALE;Lo;0;R;<compat> 05D5 05B9;;;;N;;;;;

    I don't understand at all why you'd want to encode a
    compatibility-decomposable character. If it's the same as something else,
    then this isn't needed. If it's really and truly distinct, then encode it
    as a distinct character, period.

    It seems that the only reason you'd have for suggesting something with a
    compatibility decomposition is that you want to encode the combination vav
    + right-holam = holam male. But there's absolutely no reason why the holam
    male cannot be encoded as a sequence. This happens all the time for lots of
    languages. Precomposed combinations should not be added any more for Hebrew
    than any other script or language.

    I will plan on preparing a proposal for a new right-holam character (with
    some agreeable name) sometime in the next few months, unless someone else
    gets to it first (I likely won't be able to do so before the August UTC
    meeting).

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485