Re: Hebrew Vav Holam

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 16:02:43 EDT

    On 01/08/2003 12:04, Chris Jacobs wrote:

    >>How would one encode an isolated aleph with a right holam over it, when
    >>explaining fine Hebrew typographical rules?
    >>

    >I think ‮ Ö¹×‬should work.

    For the benefit of those who don't have the tools to hand, the relevant
    part of what Chris wrote, between "think" and "should", is encoded as
    0020 202E 0020 05B9 05D0 202C i.e. <space RTL-override space holam alef
    LTR-override> (and no further space to separate this from "should").
    Presumably the intention is to use just <space holam alef> in already
    RTL text.

    The problem with this is that it necessarily starts with a space, and
    therefore if it occurs at the start of a line it will be indented when
    this is not intended. I suppose that this can be overcome by using a
    zero width space instead. But there may also be breaking implications.
    Alternatively I might suggest <ZWNJ holam alef>, if that is legal.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com