Re: Questions on ZWNBS

From: Owen Taylor (otaylor@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 08:34:26 EDT

    On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 06:32, Theodore H. Smith wrote:
    > Hi list,
    >
    > I have some questions on the ZWNBS. While I don't actually need this
    > myself, someone I know needs this.
    >
    > > Where? Specifically, where does it say FEFF shouldn't be in a string?
    > > Certainly, FEFF shouldn't be considered a BOM anywhere but at the start
    > > of a string, but does it say you just can't use that value? And if so,
    > > how are you supposed to use a ZWNBSP?!
    >
    > I'm thinking that 0xFEFF shouldn't be in a UTF16BE string, except at
    > the start right?
    >
    > For other kinds of UTF, I'm not sure if it is allowed or not. I know it
    > is allowed in UTF16LE, although discouraged.
    >
    > Instead of "can't use ZWNBS", I think that char is discouraged. Where
    > is the rule that discourages it?

    As far as I know, the only rules here are:

     The character U+FEFF *should* occur at the start of a UTF16 (either
     endianness) text to act as the BOM.

     The non-character U+FFFE should not occur in any encoding of Unicode;
     this means that the *byte sequence* 0xFE 0xFF should not occur in a
     UTF-16LE string.

    ZWNBS can be a useful character (to suppress a line break), and there
    is no reason not to use it.

    Regards,
                                                    Owen