Re: Display of Isolated Nonspacing Marks (was Re: Questions on ZWNBS...)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 16:35:44 EDT

    Peter Kirk asked:

    > If I want to do this, should I explicitly encode a dotted circle, or
    > should I encode nothing and expect the font to generate the dotted
    > circle, as it often does?

    If you want to represent the text content of a dotted circle with
    an accent on it, the recommended representation would be, for
    example:

        <25CC, 0301>

    A compliant renderer that supports those characters should always
    then display a dotted circle with an acute accent over it.

    If you just leave a <0301> in isolation, then you are at
    the mercy of what a renderer might do in a fallback situation
    for a defective combining character sequence. It *might* show
    it on a dotted circle, or it might show it in some other way.

    And if that combining character is in any other context, it
    may end up being misapplied to the wrong preceding character --
    wrong in the sense that that was not your intention.

    --Ken