Re: Display of Isolated Nonspacing Marks (was Re: Questions on ZWNBS...)

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 06:10:45 EDT

    On 05/08/2003 16:59, Curtis Clark wrote:

    > on 2003-08-05 15:31 Peter Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you, Mark. This helps to clarify things, but still doesn't
    >> explicitly answer my question of how to encode "a sentence like "In
    >> this language the diacritic ^ may appear above the letters ...", but
    >> instead of ^ I want to use a combining character" and want to
    >> display exactly one space before the combining character - do I
    >> encode two spaces or one?
    >

    > In this language the diacritic ĚŠ may appear above the letters...
    >
    > Two spaces, at least in Thunderbird Mail.

    Thank you. Well, this sort of works. I looked in various fonts. In some
    of them the diacritic is centred in the space between the words
    "diacritic" and "may", but in others it is offset to the left or the
    right. The problem is that the space is wider than the diacritic, which
    confuses things, and all the more so no doubt if it expands for
    justification. NBSP would probably be a better choice in that it is less
    likely to expand. But what I am looking for is a diacritic holder which
    is defined to be only as wide as the diacritic. On the principle that
    base characters expand to fit the width of the diacritic, ZWSP or,
    better, a real (rather than misnamed) zero width no break space would
    seem to have the right properties for that.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com