Re: Conflicting principles

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 17:04:49 EDT

    Speaking purely as an old fart, I'd say the former. We already break
    the latter principle in Thai and Lao, and having be prepared to scan
    either forward or backward from a base character in order to find its
    combining marks would add overhead to a lot of code, including existing
    code.

    On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 2:16 PM, John Cowan wrote:

    > I would like to ask the old farts^W^Wrespected elders of the UTC
    > which principle they consider more important, abstractly speaking:
    > the principle that combining marks always follow their base characters
    > (a typographical principle), or that text is stored, with a few minor
    > exceptions, in phonetic order (a lexicographical principle).

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com
    jhjenkins@mac.com