Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 20:40:41 EDT

    Kenneth Whistler <kenw at sybase dot com> wrote:

    > But I challenge you to find anything in the standard that
    > *prohibits* such sequences from occurring.

    I've learned that this question of "illegal" or "invalid" character
    sequences is one of the main distinguishing factors between those who
    truly understand Unicode and those who are still on the Road to
    Enlightenment.

    Very, very few sequences of Unicode characters are truly "invalid" or
    "illegal." Unpaired surrogates are a rare exception.

    In almost all cases, a given sequence might give unexpected results
    (e.g. putting a combining diacritic before the base character) or might
    be ineffectual (e.g. putting a variation selector before an arbitrary
    character), but it is still perfectly legal to encode and exchange such
    a sequence.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/