Re: Conflicting principles

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 12:12:54 EDT

    Philippe Verdy scripsit:

    > Why do we need to unify Quenya and Silmaryl vowel signs? Couldn't
    > we encode them separately and still use the logical order in both
    > case, by defining a new combining mode where the Sylmaril vowel
    > signs combine with the next base character (like the nukta in
    > Brahmic scripts)?

    This is also a possibility. For "Sylmaril" read "Sindarin".
    In practice, however, defining new architecture for a Class D script is
    going to be problematic, so it would still depend on font ligature tables
    to wind up in the right place. And that's ugly.

    Another issue with Tengwar is that it is a RTL script that uses a positional
    notation system to render its numbers (like most scripts), but renders them
    *least* significant digit first. The Unicode decimal digit property will
    not work with such numbers, unless the backing store used the standard
    most-significant-digit-first scheme and the digits were given the type R.

    --
    Evolutionary psychology is the theory           John Cowan
    that men are nothing but horn-dogs,             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan