Re: Conflicting principles

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 20:35:21 EDT

    Philippe,

    > Just look at musical notations where a upper horizontal parenthesis
    > is used to group some elements (sorry I don't know how you name
    > it exactly in English or Italian), despite there's a measure break
    > in the middle, which may span to the other musical line: you end
    > up with two parts for the same diacritic broken across the lines.

    They are called ties and slurs in English:

    http://www.ccarh.org/publications/reprints/ieee/STYPE1.HTM

    But they are *not* "diacritics". They are the representation of
    phrasing elements in musical notation, and as Michael indicated,
    their layout is outside the scope of the Unicode Standard,
    in any case.

    --Ken