Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 20:05:21 EDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > Spacing diacritics are not "on the edge" of the standard,

    The "edge" I was speaking of was the requirement for the exact
    display width of a nonspacing diacritic on top of a SPACE to
    be specifiable in some determinant way.

    > when they
    > are already given a full block and handled there as symbols (not as
    > letters as suggested in some parts of UAX's), with their own identity
    > independant of their actual glyphic representation. I am not
    > discussing about the typesetting of these grapheme clusters but
    > really about the textual semantics of such combining sequences
    > with an invisible base character, affecting all their properties and
    > not fully described in the various standard annexes.

    In case you didn't notice, I was responding to Peter Kirk's
    note -- not to yours.

    > Due to the
    > huge legacy use of SPACE+diacritics in legacy text, and the
    > already normative parts of some standard annexes, it will be hard
    > to correct the behavior or change the text of these annexes.

    Um, yes.

    > And it's where a new better base character than SPACE could
    > help solve cleanly the ambiguities.

    Um, no. Precisely because it would introduce *another* way
    to do what is already specified in the standard. It would, I
    predict, lead to nothing but more trouble.

    You might, perhaps, find it satisfying, but I can guarantee
    that there would then be a future critic complaining about
    an unnecessary distinction introduced into the standard. And
    then there would be *more* text in different places of the
    standard to try to correct and change, in an attempt to
    try to make consistent distinctions between the behavior
    of <SPACE, NSM> and <ACCENT_ANCHOR, NSM>.

    --Ken