Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 15:04:17 EDT

    At 11:36 AM 8/11/2003, John Cowan wrote:

    > > So far so good, but when I get to an accent with no predefined spacing
    > > variant, I have a problem!
    >
    >No you don't. If you want to say <Seagull> is the diacritic used to
    >represent linguolabial sounds in the IPA, then you just encode U+0020 U+033C
    >at the beginning of the next line. If the seagull doesn't line up properly,
    >you complain to the foundry or the implementor.

    Again, you are working on the assumption that U+0020 is represented by an
    actual painted glyph and not e.g. by a horizontal offset. In my experience,
    the more sophisticated the application -- e.g. a professional page layout
    application rather than a word processor -- the more likely it is that
    white space characters will not be consistently treated as painted glyphs.
    I've heard convincing arguments from the engineeers of such applications
    that the space character shouldn't be a glyph in the font at all, but
    should simply be a numeric value telling applications how large an offset
    to apply. Since most fonts do not contain glyphs for variant white space
    characters such as thin and hair spaces, applications typically treat these
    as offset values. Painting a glyph is only one way to represent a character.

    Regards, John

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    The sight of James Cox from the BBC's World at One,
    interviewing Robin Oakley, CNN's man in Europe,
    surrounded by a scrum of furiously scribbling print
    journalists will stand for some time as the apogee of
    media cannibalism.
                             - Emma Brockes, at the EU summit