The relation between Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646

From: souravm (souravm@infosys.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 02:39:30 EDT

    Hi All,

    As I know, historically ISO/IEC 10646 (UCS) is from ISO and Unicode was defined by a consortium of major American computer manufacturers. From version 1.1 on, Unicode is scrupulously kept compatible with ISO/IEC 10646 and its extensions. The latest fact I found that Unicode 4.0 character repertoire corresponds to ISO/IEC 10646:2003.

    Also I understand that from Unicode 2.0 onwards Unicode covers all the code points of UCS-4. Now, my doubt is, in the current situation,
    - What is the need for continuing both of these two different coded character sets in parallel? Why can't they be merged?
    - Is there any additional issues/points taken care of by ISO/IEC 10646:2003 which are not there in Unicode 4.0 and vice versa ?

    Any funda on this will be really appreciated.

    Regards,
    Sourav