RE: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Jon Hanna (jon@spin.ie)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 07:17:35 EDT

    > Thanks for the clarification. I probably misunderstood Jon's intention.
    > But is there a problem if, for example, an application sees the string
    > <space, space, combining mark> and regularises it (wrongly!) to <space,
    > combining mark>?

    Yes, I was not saying that it wouldn't be sensible to begin a line of text
    with a spacing diacritic (whether precomposed or created using space or
    NBSP). I was saying that it wouldn't be sensible to begin a line with a
    combining diacritic, since that combining diacritic would be combining with
    a newline character which it's difficult to think of any possible sensible
    meaning for. Attribute normalisation would change the sequence U+000A,
    <combining> to U+0020, <combining> which would arguably change the meaning,
    but changing the meaning of a meaningless construct isn't a problem to my
    mind.