Re: Questions on ZWNBS - for line initial holam plus alef

From: Peter Kirk (
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 12:36:23 EDT

    On 12/08/2003 09:00, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >This is really a shame that there is no "XML-safe" base character in
    >Unicode to represent leading spacing diacritics in actual documents
    >(either in HTML, XML, SGML, or even for other Rich-Text format,
    >including TeX, RTF, or proprietary text formats like MS-Doc, or PDF
    >which already can and do use Unicode as its now prefered encoding).
    >Ignoring the extremely huge number of applications assuming this role to
    >spaces, is then a critical caveat as such rules cannot be changed
    Philippe or anyone else, would it be "XML-safe" to use NBSP rather than
    SP as the base character for spacing diacritics in XML? Perhaps that's
    the answer here. I know there are still some issues of detail concerning
    the line breaking, but apart from that is there any other problem?

    Peter Kirk (personal) (work)