Re: Compatibility decompositions

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 14:13:45 EDT

    From: "John Cowan" <jcowan@reutershealth.com>

    > In particular, is it sufficient that the character strongly resembles
    an
    > existing character or combination of characters, but for one or
    another
    > reason needs to be distinct from it?

    I see no good reason, unless such distinction existed in a legacy
    encoding with which Unicode wants to maintain a roundtrip
    (bijective) compatibility -- see many examples in Chinese and Arabic.

    But now that all popular legacy encodings have been transcoded to
    Unicode, there will be little use of such compatibility decompositions
    which are quite a nightmare, unless encoding problems are discovered
    later when a script will be extended to support more languages, where
    an initially unsuspected semantic difference will be needed by encoding
    a new character with a compatibility decomposition.