Re: Hexadecimal

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 16:21:03 EDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > If someone can find a legacy charset where such distinction existed,
    > or some justification why it was introduced in the first editions of
    > Unicode, I'd like to know (now it is clearly deprecated).

    It is not deprecated. Users are *encouraged* to use the plain Latin
    letter K instead of U+212A, but please remember that "deprecated" has a
    specific meaning in Unicode which goes beyond, and does not apply to,
    U+212A.

    > Kelvins are most often written without the degree sign according to
    > SI conventions, even if sometimes incorrectly called "degree Kelvin"
    > and abbreviated as °K. Given that Kelvins are used mostly in
    > scientific areas, there's no reason to keep this informal notation,
    > when SI simply uses "K".

    Absolutely correct. There is no such thing as a "degree Kelvin," any
    more than there is a "degree meter" or "degree gram." "Kelvin" is the
    name of a unit.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/