Re: Hexadecimal

From: Ted Hopp (ted@newslate.com)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 22:07:21 EDT

    On Saturday, August 16, 2003 5:03 PM, Peter Kirk wrote:

    > I wonder if this is a real, legitimate and non-pathological case where
    > there might be a difference: hex digits embedded in Hebrew text,
    > followed by a comma. In modern Hebrew numbers are written with European
    > digits LTR embedded in RTL text, and a comma etc following the numeral
    > should probably appear to the left of it. I would guess that Israeli
    > programmers use hex digits LTR and sometimes embed them in Hebrew text.
    > But a comma will probably come out to the right of the hex number if it
    > looks like a Latin script word. Look at the following, which each
    > consist of three Hebrew letters, space, hex digit, comma, space, three
    > Hebrew letters. Well, the bidi algorithm messes them up on my screen, in
    > Word 2002 and in Mozilla. But maybe someone can see the difference.
    >
    > בצד 1, בצד
    >
    > בצד A, בצד
    >

    > But I am not suggesting that this problem is sufficiently serious to
    > justify encoding a new set of hex digits.

    I believe this displays correctly if the base directionality of the lines is RTL. (Evidently, none of this software tries to guess base directionality using the first strongly directional character of the line.) I'm sending this email as an RTL document, and it corrects the comma problem on my screen.

    Ted

    P.S. Of course, there are few other problems for the LTR stuff (like where the punctuation ends up at the end of the line).

    Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
    ZigZag, Inc.
    ted@newSLATE.com
    +1-301-990-7453

    newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
       ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/