Re: Proposed Draft UTR #31 - Syntax Characters

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 10:45:44 EDT

    On 22/08/2003 06:04, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    >Rick McGowan wrote:
    >

    >>the process as possible so that it can be considered
    >>The draft is found at http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr31/
    >>and feedback can be submitted as described there.
    >>

    >(Before submitting official feedback, I'd like to discuss my comments here.
    >BTW, which "Type of Message" should I use in the feedback form? Is it OK to
    >use "Technical Report or Tech Note issues"?)
    >

    >My two cents are both about adding characters in the <Pattern_Syntax> of
    >"4.1 Proposed Pattern Properties".
    >
    >IMHO:
    >
    > 1. Full-width, half-width, and "small" punctuation characters should
    >in class <Pattern_Syntax> as their "normal width" counterparts.
    >
    > 2. Non-Latin punctuation character should be in class
    ><Pattern_Syntax> as their Latin counterparts.

    >Should any of the above character be added to <Pattern_Syntax> (i.e. *not*
    >allowed in identifiers)?
    >
    >_ Marco

    We should include

    05C3 HEBREW PUNCTUATION SOF PASUQ

    as this is similar in appearance, at least in many Hebrew fonts, and
    function to a colon. Also if the ordinary Latin hyphen, quotation mark,
    vertical line etc are included, so should be

    05BE HEBREW PUNCTUATION MAQAF
    05C0 HEBREW PUNCTUATION PASEQ
    05F3 HEBREW PUNCTUATION GERESH
    05F4 HEBREW PUNCTUATION GERSHAYIM

    and equivalents in Armenian, Syriac etc etc. Indeed why not include
    everything with punctuation properties? According to tr31 "some
    script-specific characters were removed". Why? What remains is also
    script-specific, but just for Latin script.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)