TLG and Beta code

From: Raymond Mercier (raymondM@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 16:50:44 EDT

    Last January when I asked if the Greek symbol for one-half might be included somewhere in Unicode I was led to understand that not only that but a whole range of Greek symbols were being proposed by the TLG people. There was for example http://www.tlg.uci.edu/Uni.prop.html. Indeed the Beta code (http://www.tlg.uci.edu/~tlg/BetaCode.html) used by the TLG covers a huge range of odd symbols which are needed in Unicode if the classical texts which they have digitised are ever to be "unicoded".

    I was reminded of the need to enlarge the Greek coverage when converting some Greek numerical texts, and saw that not even the symbol for zero was part of the Greek block, so that I had to use U+014D, latin l.c. 'o' +macron, o, which is admittedly near enough.

    Yet when I search the Unicode site now for TLG or beta code I find nothing. Are the TLG proposals somewhere in the pipeline ?

    Raymond Mercier