RE: Web Form: Other Question: Java Tool

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 19:33:20 EDT

    Hi Anne,

    This is a common problem, which has a solution on two different levels. The
    problem you have would be more succinctly phrased as "Java knows what the
    characters are, but doesn't have a picture of each character to show you.
    You need to supply the 'picture'."

    You have the right solution, which involves the font.properties file.

    First there is the problem of what you do when developing the product (so
    you can see that it is working correctly). If you are working on Windows and
    own a copy of MS-Office, the easiest thing to do is install the font "Arial
    Unicode MS" and modify your font.properties file appropriately (there are
    other such fonts in the world... I'm sure you can find them if you look, but
    this one is common to have). From that point on you'll be able to see the
    characters in your JTable.

    Secondly is what you do for your end users. You'll have to provide the end
    users with instructions about how to identify appropriate fonts and install
    them into their font.properties files.

    Here's how you modify your font.properties. For each logical font "block",
    you can add the additional font(s) like this:

    dialog.0=Arial,ANSI_CHARSET
    dialog.1=WingDings,SYMBOL_CHARSET
    dialog.2=Symbol,SYMBOL_CHARSET
    dialog.3=MS PMincho,SJIS_CHARSET # example of Japanese font
    dialog.4=Arial Unicode MS #Note the spaces!

    Then you need to add a reference to the font's disk name, like this:

    # Font File Names
    #
    filename.Arial=ARIAL.TTF
    filename.Arial_Bold=ARIALBD.TTF
    filename.Arial_Italic=ARIALI.TTF
    filename.Arial_Bold_Italic=ARIALBI.TTF
    filename.Arial_Unicode_MS=ARIALUNI.TTF # Note the underscores here!
    filename.MS_PMincho=MSMINCHO.TTF

    For some fonts (but not Arial Unicode) you must modify the font converters
    and exclusion ranges:

    # Component Font Character Encodings
    #
    fontcharset.dialog.0=sun.io.CharToByteCp1252
    fontcharset.dialog.1=sun.awt.windows.CharToByteWingDings
    fontcharset.dialog.2=sun.awt.CharToByteSymbol
    fontcharset.dialog.3=sun.io.CharToByteCp932 #Mincho is a Shift-JIS font and
    requires conversion. 932 is the Japanese code page.

    # Exclusion Ranges
    #
    exclusion.dialog.0=0500-20ab,20ad-ffff
    exclusion.dialoginput.0=0500-20ab,20ad-ffff
    exclusion.serif.0=0500-20ab,20ad-ffff
    exclusion.sansserif.0=0500-20ab,20ad-ffff
    exclusion.monospaced.0=0500-20ab,20ad-ffff

    When you are done, save the file as "font.properties" in your jre/lib
    directory. Now your program should work the way you expect.

    A few more tips:

    1. Be sure your code uses logical fonts (that is,
    dialog/serif/sanserif/monospaced/etc., not
    Times/Arial/Helvetica/Verdana/etc.

    2. Be careful of bold and italic. Many Asian fonts do not contain a full set
    of glyphs for these styles. You'll have to substitute the plain fonts in
    order to see the characters, but they won't be bold or italic or
    what-have-you.

    Hope this helps.

    Best Regards,

    Addison

    Addison P. Phillips
    Director, Globalization Architecture

    432 Lakeside Drive, Sunnyvale, CA, USA
    +1 408.962.5487 (office) +1 408.210.3569 (mobile)
    mailto:aphillips@webmethods.com

    http://www.w3.org/International/ws

    It is not a feature.