need help understanding diacritical encoding

From: Steve Pruitt (SPruitt@exstream.com)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 14:37:20 EDT

    I have a form that posts diacritical characters.Ffor example, when my browser has the encoding set to utf-8 and the form posts the character É
    the post data has these two bytes C3 and 89, which when echoed back on a new page is displayed as Ã?. Can someone explain when the character is converted to two bytes how I get C3 and 89?

    Thanks,

    Steve Pruitt