Re: Fun with proof by analogy, was Re: Mojibake on my Web pages

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 07:32:33 EDT

    On 25/09/2003 10:51, jon@spin.ie wrote:

    >>Suppose you made a document and sent it to me via conventional post.
    >>
    >>The last agent handling the document would be the mail carrier.
    >>Does the mail carrier have the right to open the mailing and
    >>replace your document with garbage?
    >>

    >No, however if I receive a letter in the post written in German I'm going to ask someone to translate it rather than try to cope with a language (c.f. encoding) I don't understand.

    Yes, if that's what you ask for. But as I know some German I may prefer
    to do my own translation. And if the recipient is a German who knows no
    English, they certainly aren't going to be amused if their letters get
    translated whether they want them to be or not. So the mail carrier
    should do this only if specifically asked to do so.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)