Re: Internal Representation of Unicode

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 03:03:42 EDT

    .
    Jóhann Gunnar Óskarsson wrote,

    > That does not have to be a problem, as long as there are no more than
    > 255 accents and combinations of them. As for vietnamese, I just don't
    > know how many there are, or how many characters they use.

    The Combining Diacritical Marks range of Unicode 4.0 lists 107
    combining marks which can be used in any combination. Some
    combining marks are supposed to span two base characters.

    Peter Constable (IIRC) reported on this list a while ago that there was
    a Latin-based writing system used for an indigenous South American
    language which stacks up to three marks above.

    Best regards,

    James Kass
    .