RE: Fun with proof by analogy, was Re: Mojibake on my Web pages

From: Francois Yergeau (FYergeau@alis.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 10:31:18 EDT

    John Cowan wrote:
    > It's worse than that. If the HTTP header says "text/xml" or
    > "text/html",
    > and no charset information is provided, a fully conforming browser
    > MUST treat this as if the charset "us-ascii" is specified.

    Nit: this is not the case for text/html, which fortunately took exception
    from the MIME specs on this. From the HTML 4.01 spec, 5.2.2:

     "Therefore, user agents must not assume any default value for the "charset"
    parameter."

    > That's just insane, but such are the rules.

    Correct for text/xml. Better not use that, then, and favor application/xml.

    --
    François Yergeau