Re: Fun with proof by analogy, was Re: Mojibake on my Web pages

From: jon@spin.ie
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 13:09:36 EDT

    > Agreed. But if they don't parse the HTML they don't know what the
    > content of the document is and so they have no business to mess around
    > with that content by re-encoding it.

    There is no re-encoding! There just might be is all.

    There might also be a lot of other things going on, and hence a lot of headers sent, and those sending the headers have a responsibility to ensure their accuracy and those receiving them have a responsibility to read and act upon them (though not necessarily with blind trust if it could raise security issues).

    Anyway, browsers aren't required to examine <meta/> elements at all, though they may, it's only xml declarations that have a strong place in the list of sources of encoding information.