Re: Chinese "departing" tone marks

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 05:27:10 EDT

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:38:06 -0500, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    > That sounds, then, like these are *not* two of the left-stemmed tone
    > letters (mirrors of 02E5..02E9) that I'm going to be including in a
    > proposal for additional modifier characters for tone.

    Peter,

    I notice from document N2626 posted on the WG2 website today
    (http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2626.pdf) that China is proposing a
    whole host of "IPA Extensions and Combining Diacritical Marks", including 225
    "five-degree" tone values, which cover both left-stemmed and right-stemmed tone
    marks, as well as most of the possible combinations of complex stemmed tone
    marks that you have suggested could be represented by means of ligatures (and
    indeed which are so represented in your excellant DoulosSIL font).

    Andrew