RE: Web Form: Other Question: British pound sign - U+00A3

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 12:40:20 CST

jim.leek@admin.ox.ac.uk wrote (through Magda Danish):
[...]
> > Our problem is the representation of the £ sign (British
> > pound sign - U+00A3). When we type this character into our
> > pages and then set the character encoding in our pages to
> > Unicode (UTF-8) (either by setting it directly in the HTTP
> > header, or setting it using the <meta
> > http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

I think it should be "charset=UTF-8", in capital letters. I was looking into
the IANA charsets today, and I don't remember having seen a lowercase alias
for that.

> > tag), when we view the pages we see the standard ASCII set of
> > characters, but the Pound sign displays as an error.

The most obvious question is: are your pages *actually* in UTF-8? It is not
enough that you *declare* that they are UTF-8 if you didn't actually save
them as UTF-8 with your editor.

Could you put on line a small test page containing the pound symbol and post
the URL?

> > Also which version of Unicode does HTML 4.0 support using
> > escape characters (eg. &#163)?

It doesn't matter which version of Unicode it is, because the pound symbol
is in from day zero.

Notice however that HTML character reference must end with a semicolon:

        &#163;

_ Marco