Re: Non-ascii string processing?

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@nic.fr)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 05:16:26 CST

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 12:09:34PM +0200,
 Marco Cimarosti <marco.cimarosti@essetre.it> wrote
 a message of 14 lines which said:

> What strlen() cannot do is countîng the number of *characters* in a string.
> But who cares? I can imagine very few situations where someone such an
> information would be useful.

It is one thing to explain that strlen() has byte semantics and not
character semantics. It is another to assume that character semantics
are useless. Most text-processing software allow you to count the
number of characters in a document, for instance.

Any decent Unicode programmaing environment should give you two
functions, one for byte semantics and one for character
semantics. Both are useful.