Byzantine musical notation

From: Nick Nicholas (opoudjis@optushome.com.au)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 16:46:25 CST

(Resend)

I can't really find the answer to this question online, especially
because the proposal documents for it don't seem to have been posted to
anubis.dkuug.dk. Furthermore, this is not actually an area I know
anything about. :-) So:

Byzantine musical notation consisted of three stages, Middle Byzantine,
Late Byzantine, and Modern. Obviously the first two are only of
scholarly interest, and only the last is in productive use in Greece.
Does the repertoire in Unicode cover all three? I suspect it does, and
that the ekphonemata first up in the table are the Middle Byzantine
symbols; but I'd like to make sure. Furthermore, does the scheme
encompass the variants of Byzantine notation used outside Greece, e.g.
in Russia?

--
  Edarh oni oroumene          NICK NICHOLAS PhD, French/Italian,
  kouraste na mpa"inei,       University of Melbourne, Australia