Braille is not bidi neutral! (was RE: Unicode Public Review Issue s update)

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 04:02:15 CST

I (Marco Cimarosti) wrote:
> Jony Rosenne wrote:
> > I don't remember whether Hebrew Braille is written RTL or LTR.
>
> Braille is always LTR, even for Hebrew and Arabic.

Hwæt! I noticed only now that the Bidirectional Category of braille
characters is "ON - Other neutrals"!

AFAIK, that is completely broken!

A run of braille text *must* remain LTR in a bidi context, because braille
is never RTL. This "ON" bidi category makes it impossible to correctly
encode, e.g., a manual of Braille in Hebrew or Arabic, because the braille
runs would get swapped by the Bidirectional Algorithm.

_ Marco